Pages

Friday 10 July 2009

Overcoming Procrastination in Busy Times

I’ve found in seminars and meetings that I’ve run in the past couple of months the recurring theme of getting more done each day seems to be in the front of many peoples minds and as we’re overwhelmed by more and more work the tendency to procrastinate grows and grows .... !

I have so much to do I don’t know where to start ....! Do those words sound familiar?

Being somewhat of a champion procrastinator myself I thought this week I’d share some words that I came across about six months ago that have helped me to focus on those mornings when I don’t feel like starting anything.















The following Poem was found in Paul "Bear" Bryants wallet after he passed away in 1983 (for those who don’t know Paul was one of the most successful American College football coaches of all time)

This is the beginning of a new day.
I have been given this day to use as I will.
I can waste it or use it for good.
What I do today is very important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.
When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever.
Leaving something in its place I have traded for it.
I want it to be a gain, not a loss - good, not evil.
Success, not failure, in order that I shall not forget the price I paid for it.

The words that really ring out for me are ‘exchanging a day of my life for it’ and ‘this day will be gone forever’ It has spurred me into action on many days in the past six months .... I hope it does the same for you!

David Anderson
Managing Director
Dale Carnegie London

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.