Pages

Monday 14 May 2012

The value of Teamwork

There has been a new addition to my household recently. One which has bought uncontained joy into the hearts of my family and myself. It was a long and hard struggle to get their but the delivery eventually took place on Friday 11th May at 12:16pm. Comments from friends have poured in telling how beautiful the pictures I’ve taken are. I’ve wanted one for such a long time and to finally get one for so cheap I am over the moon. I never thought I’d see the day…. but today I can say, with a beaming smile across my face that I have my very own exercise bike.

I’m sure many of you have found yourself in the position I currently face. You’ve purchased an item and it has arrived in bits for you to assemble. You take out the parts and place them in random order on the floor. Taking out the instructions, you attempt to familiarise your self with pages of diagrams, complimented by very little written instruction, as though the pictures accompanied by a frenzy of arrows should be sufficient for you to know how to assemble your newly purchased wonder. Suddenly, my exercise bike wasn’t as glamorous as when first arrived.

It did however get me thinking. Like me, you may have heard numerous quotations about teamwork like;

‘Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.'


‘A unit is only as strong as its weakest link.'

'Teamwork is essential - it allows you to blame someone else.'

Okay maybe scrap the last one but my point is we’ve all at one time been lectured on the importance of teamwork. Putting together my bike however, it was reinforced to me that we all have a part to play in the team / organisation we work for and if we do not work to our fullest capacity, the collective will never be as successful as it could be. Take my bike as an example. If I had no handlebars then I’d have nothing to grip, if I had no pedals then I could not generate any movement and if I had no saddle…well a trip to A+E would be on the horizon.

Keep teamwork at the forefront of your mind. Ensure that not only are you seeking your teams help but make sure you’re available to help others. Encourage those around you and praise them for their achievements. Be accountable to one another and ensure that unity is at the forefront of everything you do but above all else…above all else…if you know anyone who’s constructed an exercise bike before, get them in touch with Dale Carnegie London as that saddle won’t attach itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.