Pages

Wednesday 22 February 2012

Tuesdays with Morrie


Have you ever read a book which has little pearls of wisdom in it that you just love? Well I am currently reading such a book. It's called Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom and it is based on a true story of a college student reconnecting with his college Professor when he finds out he is dying. I have heard I will need the tissues as I can only imagine how sad it may get but at the moment it is an inspiring read.

I am about half of the way in but I wanted to share some of the things Morrie has said which I have loved:

‘So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they are chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.’

‘The most important thing in life is to give out love, and to let it come in.’

During his discussion about death:

‘Do what Buddhists do. Every day, have a little bird on your shoulder that asks, ‘Is today the day? Am I ready? Am I doing all I need to do? Am I being the person I want to be?’

On material possessions:

'Do the kinds of things that come from the heart. When you do you won’t be dissatisfied, you won’t be envious, you won’t be longing for someone else’s things. On the contrary you’ll be overwhelmed with what comes back.’

I love what Morrie says and I truly believe that he has a valid point. Just think...... if everyone gave out love and devoted themselves to the community around them what a wonderful world this would be.

So what can you do today, who can you become to be that small difference in the world?

Helen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.