Pages

Friday 20 May 2011

iphoney

People that know me will tell you that I am a massive football fan. So much so that some of my colleagues from Dale Carnegie have requested that I stop writing blogs about the sport or indeed my favourite team. So instead I want to talk to you about an incident that took place a couple of weeks ago and how it affected me.

A couple of weekends ago I received a letter with the logo of a famous mobile telephone provider on the cover. However, this was not my provider and upon opening it, to my horror, it was a welcome letter. Apparently, I had signed up for a two year deal with an iphone. I immediately went to one of their stores and explained the situation. I was told that I needed to contact customer services by phone.

At this point things began to look bleaker. I was explained that not only had I taken out the contract but the phone itself was delivered to my house and signed for. What?

Could it have been that I managed to do all of this subconsciously? I know there are many people that sleep walk and get up to all sorts of shenanigans. Could I have become a sleep shopper? The answer is no. I was just another victim of identify theft.

I went into work the next Monday feeling violated and so worried and stressed about what details of mine had been captured and used. I then spent the next couple of days talking to the provider to cancel the contract and also investigate why there was no verification or proof that I had made this purchase.

I sat down on my desk feeling defeated, just another victim of a major faceless corporation. It was at this point I found my salvation. It came to me in the shape of an experienced Dale Carnegie coach that lives and breathes the principles that our founder penned many years ago. He went through some fundamental principles for overcoming worry.

• What is the worst that could happen?

Well, the worst already has, I thought. The only thing worse would be if I now got a phone bill for this fraudulent account.

• Prepare to accept the worst.

Ok, I know I didn’t arrange this so I can make sure that I am not liable to pay a phoney bill should it arrive.

• Try to improve the worst.

After gathering up all the evidence I felt much better. I was now in a better position because now I not only knew I was an innocent victim but I could also prove it.

After talking to him and taking action I felt relieved and could concentrate on other more important things. The stress and worry seemed to evaporate.

If you would like to find out more about How to Stop Worrying and Start Living or How to Win Friends and Influence People then please join us on the Dale Carnegie Course which starts on Tuesday 28th June. If you would like to have a taster and experience a session for free prior to joining then please attend the complimentary session on Tuesday 14th June.

All the details can be found on our website - http://www.london.dalecarnegie.com/

Just before I let you go……I did get that phone bill last week. It amounted to £229.39 and yet I do not feel stressed at all.


Amar Garcha
Sales Consultant


www.London.dalecarnegie.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.