Pages

Thursday 7 May 2009

Leaving a legacy....

Recently, my dear Father passed away. After a brief battle with cancer, it got the better of him and last month he passed away peacefully in his sleep. Putting my grief aside, what has touched me are the words used to describe him from those that knew him. Words from family, friends and business acquaintances. Words such as remarkable, courageous, loyal, loving, generous, kind and not forgetting a man who didn’t suffer fools gladly (very true!)

Being his daughter, I guess I took for granted at times my Dad’s values. I was brought up around them and I saw my Dad from a daughter’s standpoint, not as an outsider would. So when people came up to me before and after the funeral saying all these wonderful things about him, it hit home just how great a Dad he was and how important his values were to him.

Now, this blog is not to put my Father on a pedestal as he most certainly had his faults too, but the recent events have made me take stock and consider values.....my values, those around me and those in business. In essence values make us who we are and how we show up to the world. They make us honest, make us kind, and make us forgiving. They help select our friends, help us reach decisions and help us feel at peace with ourselves.

It’s a well known fact that in tough times values can be tested. Internal fraud cases increase in businesses during times of recession. People may look for a quick buck at the expense of something else, quite possibly one of their own values. But it is also a time when people look within, and make life changing decisions based on the person they want to become, not the person they once were.


So, who do you want to be?

Thanks Dad for leaving such a legacy....


Helen Mills
Financial Controller


http://www.london.dalecarnegie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.