Pages

Monday 24 October 2011

Be Ready for this Funny Old World

So there it was, just round the corner, this blaze of white. Fresh, beautiful and vibrant.
This sudden warm spell of the last few days here in the South East had caused a Viburnum to burst into flower. A hand written sign said that it was more usual for this to occur in April or May. Was it six months early or six months late. I don't think the Viburnum cared less.

Nobody knows of cause. That is, nobody but the Viburnum. Something had happened that caused it to just go ahead and flower. Being true to itself and the influences of nature it just did what it knows best. No, what if's, maybe's, I wonder's, perhaps or am I dressed properly, is this the right thing to do. It just got on and did it.


Delivering our latest Executive Leadership Programme caused me to reflect that if we are going to get the most out of our life we should be like nature - natural and responsive to what is going on around us.

How many of us, I wonder, sleep walk through life. I know I did. Not noticing all the opportunities that presented themselves, not going with the flow and resisting when resistance what not appropriate or necessary. That was then and this is now, and being much more aware of the world, I sought to understand what had happened to the Viburnum.


What an obvious parallel with life. So next time you find you have missed the opportunity to flower. Wake Up. And as the Nike ad says - just do it.


Call me if you want to know more about waking up to life as it happens.

David Pickering

Business Consultant and Trainer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.