Pages

Friday 15 July 2011

Who wants to be a millionaire?

It’s Tuesday 12th July 2011, 7.45pm. I just realised that I forgot to get my Euro millions lottery ticket. Arghh!!!

I have been putting two lines each on a Tuesday and a Friday for a number of months. I used to only have one, a selection of numbers that have some significance to me. However, when I found out that a majority of the jackpot winners did so through the lucky dip I was forced to add a line. I couldn’t simply drop my numbers because I would be distraught if they ever came in.

Then on Wednesday morning, as I pushed and shoved my way through Paddington station to grab a copy of the Metro I saw that someone had done it, winning an astronomical £161 million, propelling him / her into the top 500 of the UK rich list.

Just like most of you that do spend money in the hope of one day hitting the jackpot, I believe my investment of just over £400 a year is money well spent. Who knows, the next time it could be me.

However, that said this desire to become an instant millionaire does not outweigh my desire to be successful in my own right. I realise that for most of us success is not thrust upon us but it is something we earn. In fact most people would argue that winning the lottery will make you richer but not necessarily more successful.

I want to be able to work hard and be the best I can be. I want to be respected by my colleagues for the work I do and the results I achieve. Equally, I want my clients to see me as a trusted advisor. Ultimately, success for me is helping other people to become more successful.

If like me, you really want to be successful, the first step you must take is to define what success actually means to you. Please take a minute to define success for yourself and jot down your thoughts on a piece of paper and keep it somewhere safe. Make sure you look at it from time to time and ask yourself what you have done to achieve the items on your success list.

If you are genuinely interested in developing your own skill set or that of others within your organisation then please take the time to come along to any of our free course previews and seminars and find out how Dale Carnegie supports individuals, teams and organisation to reach their goals, faster and with less anxiety.

I would like to leave you with a couple of quotes. The first is from an American educator by the name of Marva Collins and the second is from our founder Dale Carnegie.

“Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do best.”

“Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs. Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger. If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves.”

Amar Garcha
Sales Consultant

www.london.dalecarnegie.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.