Pages

Friday 3 December 2010

Attitude

As I sit here in my study the light snow is steadily adding to the 350 cm we have had in the last 48 hours. With daytime temperatures no where near approaching zero I wonder when we will return to some normality.

I could be sitting here raging about the 5 hours delay I had Tuesday evening on a 45 minutes train journey, the postponement of training that is my responsibility with some people travelling the length of the country to attend. Getting frustrated about the new business winning meetings that are scheduled for today and missing my mother's 89th birthday tomorrow will only make me feel worse. Cooperating with the inevitable is essential, not a cop out, its common sense.

Dr Charles R. Swindoll, pastor, writer of over 70 books and regarded as the 25th most influential preacher in the world today, decided that:

“The longer I live, the more I realise the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, or say or do. It is more important than appearance, than giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company.......... a church......... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change the past. We cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 per cent what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you. We are in charge of our attitudes.”

A vital aspect of Dale Carnegie’s training programmes is that we actively work on shifting attitude to the positive, a can do outlook. Next time you are considering development for yourself or your team make sure you choose the one that has a positive approach to life and not just remedies for taking away the pain.

David Pickering
Sales Consultant and Trainer

www.London.dalecarnegie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.