Pages

Friday 11 September 2009

The Proverbial Green Shoots of Recovery!

Are they here??

I’ve found that in the past nine months barely one business conversation has escaped that proverbial question..... “So how is the credit crunch / recession / downturn in the market affecting your business.”

With the business we’re in of helping companies to grow and overcome challenges I feel it’s a well placed question as it influences much of the decision making process and has often been the reason that potential clients have sought us out. The added pressures of this difficult market often highlight deficiencies in the abilities of the team; therefore the question frames the conversation well.

I’m pleased to say that there have been many companies who have gone unaffected and a fortunate few who’ve thrived. I’ve referred many times this year to some facts that I picked up at a seminar in early February. There are more millionaires made in a recession than in times of economic growth! If you’re looking for a concrete example Bill Gates started Microsoft in the middle of a recession..... and he’s gone on to do quite well ; - )

So am I about to bring more doom and gloom to the city of London and speak more of recession?

I’m pleased to say NO!

In the past two weeks I’ve sensed a delightfully uncharacteristic air of optimism in many of the meetings I’ve been in. From my own experiences there seems to be a growing belief that things are turning. When so much of business success is based on perception of the situation this is good news indeed!

One could end this post with any number of cheesy catch phrases .... I’ll try to avoid that and instead encourage you to go ahead and make that decision that you’ve been putting off while you wait to see what happens to the market. If enough people believe it and start acting in a positive way all our businesses are sure to benefit!

David Anderson
Managing Director
Dale Carnegie London

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.