Pages

Friday 14 August 2009

My 31 Day Challenge......

Art and photography are real passions of mine and I have lots of fun being creative away from my day to day job.

During the last couple of years art has taken preference and the photographs have been more as a point of reference to the pictures painted. However, my father was a keen photographer, and since his passing a few months ago, I have inherited all his camera equipment, some of which I know how to use, others I simply haven't a clue.

So now that my house is being filled up with all this wonderous equipment, I thought it's a shame not to use it. But then various thoughts crossed my mind.....such as how? When? I'm too rusty? Will I remember the settings I need etc etc.

So I decided to set myself a little challenge..........the challenge being, 31 days, 31 pictures! And what fun I am having! I decided to take a picture a day......which sounds so simple?!!? However, the first challenge I've faced is that I have an apalling memory....so on Day 1 I forgot!!!! Hmnnn......however, facing challenges can mean changing our behaviour....so now every day, I carry my little point and shoot to make sure I don't forget and at the weekends I take out my digital SLR with me. That way I always have a camera at hand.

I am having fun looking at every day objects as a photo opportunity. The idea being the picture I choose to take reflects something that has happened in my day. And at the start of the day I have no idea what that could be - and that in itself is exciting. And when it's gets late and I haven't taken a photo I realise that by using my imagination, I can find a photo opportunity. But quite often, now my shift in thinking has changed, I have taken a picture by lunchtime!

I think it's fun setting ourselves challenges. They stretch us, they can take us out of our comfort zone and more importantly, what we learn from them can be invaluable. I have already decided that next month I will do a sketch-a-day........but in the meantime, I will continue to snap away, take some interesting pictures and just have some fun. And to me, that is what life is all about...!

Helen Mills
Financial Controller

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.