Pages

Friday 12 June 2009

Change


Bleep Bleep Bleep! My alarm clock went off and it was in that moment that I realised I had turned 30. It hit me like a pistol shot and I rolled over and felt sorry for myself. The really uplifting thoughts that went through my head were:

“I’ve reached 30 and I have nothing material to show for my endeavours”.

“I’ve turned 30 in a credit crunch, left a perfectly stable job to pursue ‘life goals...I must be mad’”

If I met this part of myself in a bar, we would definitely not be friends. So why do we do it to ourselves?

Suddenly, a beam of sunlight came through the window and I realised it was a sunny day outside. I forced myself to get out of bed and I took myself to a spinning class.

Spinning is a static bike aerobic class. The session is instructor led and has amazingly loud music blaring out of the speakers. The music is normally quite uplifting and allows you to get into the zone. Personally I think the music is turned up to drown out the groans of suffering as you hit the wall of pain (about 10 minutes in). If I am honest, I am in agony for 45 minutes as the instructor shouts, “turn up the load and pedal faster”. Strangely, there is something that keeps me going back for more.

As I left on a high, embracing 30 and ready for the day ahead, I realised in that 45 minutes I had:

- Committed to do something and achieved it

- Immersed myself in the moment of the class

- Overcome the voice that was begging me to stop and give up during the hill climb

In these times of change, “any action is better than no action”. It’s amazing how quickly we can change our attitude and our luck.


Hayley Kennedy
Dale Carnegie Trainer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.